As part of the Next Generation Secure Identification Document Project and the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) commitment to working against the threat of fraudulent document tampering, the Green Card as you know it is officially changing. According to USCIS, both the Green Card and the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) have undergone a complete redesign.

What Do the Green Card Changes Look Like?

The redesigned U.S. Green Cards and EAD cards have been changed to include new graphics and fraud-resistant security features. These added features make the new cards highly secure and more difficult to tamper with than those that are currently in use.

The new cards will showcase the individual’s photo on both sides, display a unique graphic image and color scheme, involve the use of embedded holographic images, and will no longer display carrier signatures.

Each Green Card will be made up of a predominantly green color pallet and showcase an image of the Statue of Liberty while the EAD cards will be red and contain an image of a bald eagle.

Is Your Current Green Card Still Valid?

Although the Green Card Changes went into effect as of May 1st, 2017, not all of them contain the new design format. This is because the USCIS is planning to use up all their existing card stock until current supplies are depleted. All U.S. Green Cards in the new and old format will be accepted as valid until they’ve reached their listed expiration date.

Some individuals who hold EAD cards with Temporary Protected Status (TPS) and other designations will be automatically extended beyond their validity date. You can find more information regarding your EADs coverage on the Temporary Protection Status and American Competitiveness in the 21st Century Act webpages.

If you have a Green Card that does not contain an expiration date, it will remain valid for the time being; however, you may consider applying for a replacement card that does contain an expiration date. This will help reduce the risk of document tampering or fraud should your card be lost or stolen.

You can find more information about the United States Green Card changes and the Application Process at

All EAD requests must be accompanied with an I-765 From, Application for Employment Authorization.

Find out why we’re one of the top immigration lawyers in Greensboro. Let us help you today!

Translate »