Entering the United States of America can be a challenging process, especially if you mix up your intent and non-intent visas.  It’s hard to change immigration intents mid-way through the process or mid-way through a trip, so figure out what your intent in the USA is and apply for the correct visa.  It’s best to contact an immigration attorney in Greensboro, NC if you’re traveling to the city as a student, worker, or immigrant as they will know any local laws.  To help figure out your intent, we will look at the difference between intent vs. non-intent visas.

Intent Visas

If you intend to immigrate to the USA and seek permanent residence in any form then you should state your intention to do so from the start.  Start by contacting an immigration attorney or lawyer to help go over your best options.  This means if you are planning on being a permanent resident, hold a green card, or be a resident alien.  The process can be a challenge so start working on the process as soon as you can.

Non-Intent Visas

Visitors, students, temporary workers, and temporary specialists are most of the applicants for non-intent visas.  They are usually easier to get than immigration intent visas, but you do have to do a few things to prove you are planning on leaving the country when your visa expires.  You usually have to prove that you have a residence you fully intend to return to in a country outside of the USA.  You might be asked how long your stay in the USA is going to take and how your visa will fit into your long term plans.  You should show the visa officer in the U.S consulate that you have strong ties to your home through work, family, and friends.

If everything goes well and you have applied for the correct visa, you will receive your visa whether you intend to immigrate or not.  If the visa officer believes you have a dual intent, your visa will be denied.  A dual intent can happen for either visa application.  For intent to immigrate, the visa officer believes that you are planning on moving away from the USA in the future.  For non-intent, the visa officer believes that you are planning on staying in the country beyond your trip to become a permanent resident.  At the moment there are three visas that allow dual intent, the E (treaty trader) visa, the H-1 (specialty trade) visa, and the L (intracompany transfer) visa.

It is best to state your true intentions before beginning the application process.  This will help make your process as easy as possible and avoid a possibility for denial.  If you need any help navigating the visa application process, contact an immigration attorney or lawyer in the region of the USA you will be visiting.

Contact one of the top immigration lawyers in Greensboro. Let us help you today!

Translate »