A fiance(e) of an American citizen who will be entering the U.S. solely to marry that American citizen should apply for a K-1 Visa. The marriage should take place within 90 days of enrtering the U.S. Minor children of the fiancees can apply for a K-2 status and enter the U.S. The K-1 Visa enables one to apply for conditional permanent resident status.



The American citizen should first file a petition, Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiance(e), with the USCIS having jurisdiction over the place of the his/her residence in the U.S. The approved petition will then be forwarded by USCIS to the American consular office where the benecifiary will apply for his/her visa.

A petition for K-1 status is valid for four months from the date of USCIS action, and may be revalidated by the consular officer. The consular officer will then notify the beneficiary when the approved petition is received and provide you with the necessary forms and instructions to apply for a K-1 Visa. Because you are an intending immigrant, you must meet certain requirements similar to the requirements of an immigrant visa applicant.



The following documents are required for the K-1 Visa:

  • A passport, valid for travel to the United States for a duration more than the intended period of stay by at least six months.
  • A birth certificate.
  • A divorce or death certificate of any previous spouse.
  • Police certification of all the places you have lived since the age of 16.
  • A medical examination.
  • Evidence of support.
  • Evidence of a valid relationship with your fiance(e).
  • Two recent photographs 1 & 1/2 inches square (37mm x 37mm) , with the entire face visible. The picture should be taken before a light background and without head covering.
Translate »