How to Renew a Green Card

Once you are granted a permanent resident card, more commonly known as a green card, it is essential to renew this official document every 10 years. If you are a permanent resident whose 10-year Green Card has expired or will expire within the next 6 months, you can begin the Green Card renewal process by filing USCIS Form I-90. In order to file the form, you have two options as to how you would like to file. You can either file the I-90 paperwork online, or on a paper form that must be mailed.  

Green Card Renewal

As mentioned, a Green Card must be renewed every 10 years. If you have a conditional two year Green Card, you can not renew your card and must have the conditions removed instead. In the case of the 10-year Green Card, renewal begins with the filing of Form I-90. After filing, you are able to check the status of your application online. Please remember that a receipt number from a form that has been filed online may not be available through “My Case Status” for up to 72 hours. After a few weeks, you will receive a notice of a required biometrics appointment at a specific location, date, and time. It is important to note that this biometrics is required for all permanent residents and will collect fingerprints, a picture, and a signature. Approximately 6-8 months later, you should receive your renewed Green Card in the mail. If your application for renewal is denied, you will receive a letter that will tell you why your application was denied. Though you can not appeal a negative decision,  you may submit a motion to reopen your case with the same office that denied the application, so USCIS may reconsider your application. There are a variety of reasons that a renewal may be declined including:  
  • Incorrect information on renewal form
  • Lying on your renewal form
  • Committing a crime
  • Using the wrong form
  When it comes time for you to renew your Green Card, it is important to speak with a professional Immigration attorney, as they will be able to work with you to determine if anything will cause a denied application, and work to get the application accepted.  

Green Card Replacement

If you are a permanent resident who needs to replace a Green Card, or a conditional resident who needs to replace a two-year Green Card, the process begins with the same paperwork. You must file USCIS Form I-90. Per the USCIS, you will need to replace your Green Card if:  
  • Your previous card was lost, stolen, mutilated or destroyed
  • Your card was issued to you before you were 14 and you have reached your 14th birthday (unless your card expires before your 16th birthday)
  • You have been a commuter and are now taking up actual residence in the United States
  • You have been a permanent resident residing in the United States and are now taking up commuter status
  • Your status has been automatically converted to permanent resident status (this includes Special Agricultural Worker applicants who are converting to permanent resident status)
  • You have a previous version of the alien registration card (e.g., USCIS Form AR-3, Form AR-103 or Form I-151 – all no longer valid to prove your immigration status) and must replace it with a current green card
  • Your card contains incorrect information
  • Your name or other biographic information on the card has been legally changed since you last received your card
  • You never received the previous card that was issued to you by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
  It is important to note that Form I-90 is not a way for conditional residents to renew their green card. It is only intended for conditional residents to replace their green card should they need it.  

Conditional Resident Renewal

If you are a conditional resident, meaning you have been granted a two-year Green Card, DO NOT use Form I-90 if it is about to expire. Instead, you will have to file Form I-751, which is a Petition to remove conditions on a Green Card obtained through marriage, or you have to file Form I-829, to remove conditions on a Green Card obtained through financial investment in a U.S. business.  

Green Card Renewal Cost

Renewing a Green card is not a cheap process, as it costs $455, with the possibility of an additional $85 to cover a Biometrics Fee. This total cost does come with special restrictions. For example, if your card is issued, but you never received it because of a shipping problem, you may be able to replace your lost card for no cost. Unfortunately, if your card is stolen or lost you will have to pay the full $540, so it is important to keep your Green Card safe, and in good condition. Though the Green Card renewal process can seem overwhelming and confusing, The expert immigration attorneys at Neelam Bhardwaj can walk you through the process and ensure everything is filed correctly with USCIS. Contact us today to learn more about renewing your Green Card.

Find out why we’re one of the top immigration lawyers in Greensboro. Let us help you today!

Translate »